CSEE Fast Facts-2020
- In Fall 2020, CSEE enrolled: 2,046 undergraduate majors (49% of COEIT’s undergraduate enrollment), 467 Masters (52% of COEIT), and 159 Ph.D. students (48% of COEIT).
- CSEE programs are available to both full-time and part-time students and include several accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s degree program options. Selected programs are offered both on Main Campus (Catonsville, MD) and at the Universities at Shady Grove (Rockville, MD) in Montgomery County.
- The department has 39 tenure-track faculty, 18 full-time instructional faculty, 8 full-time research professors, and over 70 affiliates, part-time, and/or adjunct faculty across its various programs.
- In 2020, CSEE faculty produced 138 referred works, made 83 professional presentations, and were awarded 26 grants. Nearly $9.5 million was awarded in grants and contracts.
- CSEE ranks above the 90th percentile of Computing Research Association (CRA) Data (2019) * for CMSC and CMPE undergraduate and M.S. degree production. The CS tenured and tenure-track faculty rank greater than the 90th percentile in undergraduate degree production, >90th in M.S. degree production, and 75th in Ph.D. production. The CE tenured and tenure-track faculty rank greater than the 90th percentile in undergraduate degree production, >90th in M.S. degree production, and <25th in Ph.D. production.
- CSEE maintains strong active industry partnerships with global firms like IBM, Cisco, GE, T. Rowe Price, other regional and national companies, and many of the emerging technology companies in UMBC’s Research Park.
- CSEE’s alumni are employed by prestigious national technology innovators such as Microsoft, Intel, Google, Amazon, Uber, Walmart Labs, and Yahoo. Graduates are also employed by major local and national employers including Cisco, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, NASA, Legg Mason, T. Rowe Price, Goldman Sachs, Social Security Administration, Department of Defense, and NIH. UMBC includes nearly 1,100 alumni working at NSA and is one of the top two suppliers of computing talent to the agency.