CMSC-441: Algorithm Design and Analysis
Dr. Alan T. Sherman, Spring 2001, Section 0101
Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- Dr. Alan T. Sherman
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (send only to this address and include "441" in the subject)
- Office Hours: Monday/Wednesday, 12:30-1pm, ECS 225j
- Tele: (410) 455-2666
- Office Hours: Tuesday 7:00-8:30pm in ECS 334.
- Tele: (410) 455-8902
- Email: email@example.com
Meeting Time and Place
SS (Social Science), Room 409
Corman, Leiserson, Rivest,
"Introduction to Algorithms,"
MIT Press / McGraw-Hill.
Note: There is a CD-ROM (Mac or Windows format) with algorithm annimation
that is available for purchase with this book.
Additional Course Information
Root content page for other editions of CMSC-441.
On-line catalog description of CMSC-441.
Common core material for 441, as defined by Sherman.
- Maryland Theory Day
April 11, 1998, in UMBC Library.
Useful generic course documents, including:
How to solve and write up homework problems,
HW grading scale, advice on
writing a technical report, the "algorithms policy,"
the great Theoretical Computer Science Cheat Sheet,
and a LaTeX template for homework solutions.
Graduate Algorithms Course CMSC-641
Other CSEE courses
- Some algorithms conferences:
- Some special interest professional groups:
(Special Interest Group on Algorithms and Computation Theory)
(Special Activity Group on Discrete Mathematics)
(Technical Committee on Foundations of Computing)
- Homework due at the beginning of class every Wednesday, except during the week of any exam.
- Exam I: Wednesday, March 7
Covers Chapters 1-14 (5, 6, 11, 13 assumed as prerequisite background).
Emphasis on design and analysis, divide-and-conquer, recurrences, and
- Exam II: Wednesday, April 18
Covers Chapters 1-26 (excluding stared sections and 15, 18-21), with
17 treated lightly. Emphasis on data structure application,
dynamic programming, graph algorithms.
- Project Due: Wednesday, May 9
- Final Examination: At the standard time scheduled by registrar:
1-3pm, Monday, May 21.
Alan T. Sherman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: March 12, 2001.