Special Topics in Quantum Computation
The course will begin with a brief overview of those topics in quantum mechanics
and mathematics needed for the understanding of quantum computation. An incomplete
list of topics covered in the course is given below:
- Quantum superposition and quantum entanglement
- Decoherence and the resulting implementation barriers
- Quantum teleportation
- Quantum Turing machines
- Shor's Algorithm
- Grover's algorithm
- Quantum information theory
- Quantum data compression
- Quantum cryptographic protocols
- Quantum error-correcting codes
- Various research level problems
Various papers found in the open literature will be discussed. Please refer to
Quantum Computation References
for more information.
Each student is expected to actively participate in this class.
"Explorations in Quantum Computation," by Williams, Collin P., and Scott H.
Clearwater, Springer-Verlag (1997)
"Introduction to Quantum Computation & Information," edited by Lo,
Hoi-Kwong, Tim Spiller & Sandu Popescu, World Scientific (1998).
- Plus additional material from the open literature.
CMSC 203 (or equivalent), MATH 221 (or equivalent),
and an intense desire to learn.